Saturday, September 28, 2013

At 36 Days to Go, Say Hi to Sven!

This posting every day thing is no joke. Here goes. Just briefly: training continues, for the most part - I biked to work a few days this week and tomorrow I'm doing the Bronx 10 Mile, assuming I wake up in 5 hours. Wish me luck.


Today's profile is Sven, my dormmate during Freshman year, a fellow Econ major (okay fine, not fellow, I was an Econ concentrator), an awesome new recent reconnection (thanks, Facebook!), and an overall great person. I'm looking forward to learning even more about Sven, but here's a start!

MC: Diaspora's mission is to empower families and individuals, starting with young people. What's one of your favorite childhood (or teenage) memories?

ST:  Hmm...so, the road on which I grew up in small-town Germany had like a dirt patch in front of a set of garages, and we used to play in the mud after it rained. Earthworms would come out of the ground after it rained, and we would build them some houses to live in. Try as we might, they never took to the houses we built them, which didn't stop us from trying again the next time it rained.

MC: No matter how many times I finish a marathon, it still seems a bit implausible. What advice would you give to someone tackling a difficult and seemingly insurmountable goal?

ST: Hmm. Maybe it's easier to try it if it does indeed seem impossible; after all, you can't help but fail? Kinda takes the edge off.

MC: What is a cause that you feel passionately about? (Feel free to promote a particular organization or organizations.)

ST: Lots of. But I'll reference Habitat for Humanity in particular, because I go there a lot. So I guess that means I'm passionate about them. Habitat's real accessible, meaning the bar for participation is low, because all you really do is swing the hammer or something. Also, there is ostensibly a tangible benefit that is created for someone else. I say ostensibly because, shh, don't tell anyone, but they can get the house up without your showing up, after all, so really, you go there to exercise a certain "muscle" of your own, not to benefit anyone else. But shhh... that's a secret. (It's okay to quote that, I'm being... is it facetious?)

Anyway, my theory is that that then leads to other things.

MC: An interesting theory, Sven. And definitely interesting stories. Thank you for sharing with me, and for your support!  As always, you can go here to join me and Sven in supporting Diaspora.

No comments:

Post a Comment